Resources for Shadowing
Shadowing in Clinic:
- Please sign-up on the monthly calendar sent via email to the OSIG list-serv at the beginning of the month.
- Dress Code: Professional attire/white coat, bring stethoscope
Shadowing in OR:
- Please reach out to faculty directly via email (It is highly encouraged that you shadow this faculty member in clinic first)
- If you have questions about a particular physician’s blockout dates, email Audrey.Litvak@uchospitals.edu for this info
- Please look at below video for how to scrub-in (Will email OSIG list-serv when have update on scrub class!)
- Dress Code: Scrubs
Tips from faculty for building mentor relationships and getting the most out of shadowing:
- Re-check in after mentor meetings
- Ask about mentor styles so can see if a particular mentor relationship is a good fit
- Come to clinic having read up on relevant concepts (i.e. if going to shadow Dr. Conti Mica in hand clinic, would be beneficial to read up on the top 5 hand neuropathies and review some relevant anatomy)
- More generally, focus on anatomy and physical relations! (i.e. If have a rotator cuff problem – what are the rotator cuff muscles? What are the exams? If don’t know, can you make an educated guess based off of the anatomy?
- Read up on general processes: How do bones heal? Why do we fix or not fix a break? Medical principles or issues that can make bone heal fast or slow?